NYC Home birth at risk- update and thank you
You Guys Rock!!
Since Choices in Childbirth sent out our Action Alert to save home birth in NYC Thursday evening:
– over 1,025 of you have signed a consumer-sponsored petition calling on state legislators to pass the Midwifery Modernization Act! If you haven’t signed yet, you can do so at ….
– you have flooded 311, the DOH and the Education Board with calls in support of home birth – the DOH told one caller that they had never received so many calls on any other issue, ever!
– you have been dynamic in your blogging and tweeting, and have helped us get the word out about this crisis in record time!
Here is the media coverage that the crisis has received so far:
In the News
- After St. Vincent’s Hospital closing, midwives ask what the options are for home births — NY Daily News
- With St. Vincent’s Closed, Midwives Looking for Place to Practice — WNYC
- Midwives Out in Cold — Wall Street Journal
- St. Vincent’s Hospital Shutdown Leaves Expectant Moms Without Homebirth Option (*great slide show with lots of pictures) — DNA Info
- New York Midwives Need Your Help – Choices in Childbirth
- Call to Action- Save home birth in New York City! — Choices in Childbirth
- Solidarity Now! The Eleventh Hour for NYC Midwives — RH Reality Check
- URGENT: Help Save Home Birth Midwifery in New York! — Marvelous Kiddo
- New York City’s Midwives in Jeopardy — Stand and Deliver
- Access to homebirth in NYC put at risk by closing of St. Vincent’s hospital — Radical Doula
- ACTION ALERT- UPDATE: Final Hours: NYC Home birth at risk — Choices in Childbirth
- Homebirth Illegal in NYC! – Marvelous Kiddo
- Sad Day for Homebirth in NYC — Birth & Bloom
- Save Home Birth in New York! Call to Action! – My Best Birth
- Home Births Latest Casualty in St. Vincent’s Closing – Gothamist
- Action Alert: Save Home Birth in NY – OrganicWomBaby
- Action Alert: Save Home Birth in NY– Prenatal Yoga Center
- Home Birth Needs your Help – Mary Catherine Hamelin
- NY Homebirth Crisis– Massachusetts Friends of Midwives
- SOS: Save Home Birth in NY– Doula Momma
Please leave a comment if you know of other blogs or news stories that have covered this topic.
A strong showing of public support for a woman’s right to choose home birth is critical in solving this crisis! Please keep up your efforts! We will continue providing opportunities to speak up, so stay tuned!